Thursday, January 28, 2010

RIP J.D. Salinger


He was 91. Liz had him in her Death Pool (I think). No one had seen or heard from him in years, but I'll still miss him. Catcher in the Rye is one of the greatest things I've ever read. It amazed me how differently I viewed Holden Caulfield when I was in high school (and thought he was a genius) and later in college (when I thought he was so immature and naive). I also really dug Franny and Zooey. Seriously talented man. The world has lost one of the greats. RIP, sir.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think "Catcher in the Rye" was probably the ONLY book I read in high school I actually liked. I like it to this day. And I agree, I thought he was the coolest character when I was younger and now I'm all, "What an ass. He needs to grow up." :)

RIP JD.

Liz said...

"Franny and Zooey" is very underrated. I agree, its like "Catcher" for college kids.

And yes, I did win my death pool with this. Thanks, JD

words...words...words... said...

I am not a big fan, but I totally respect and admire his decision to drop off the face of the Earth. Good show.

Brand New said...

Franny and Zooey is fantastic... good for you for reading something other than nonsensical (why no -?) brit chic lit!