Thursday, March 25, 2010

Let's get literal!

Having successfully conquered the pile of New Yorkers that's been causing a fire hazard in my living room for a year and a half, I am now allowed to read books again!


It's an exciting time indeed, but since they don't advertise books and authors on television, I'm not really sure what's out there. I've got an actual (super nerdy) list of books I want to read, but most of them are classics or older books that I never got around to, like 1984, Sense and Sensibility and a sh*t ton of Cormac McCarthy. I want something new and hip and cutting edge, because then I can vicariously appear to be all those things!

So basically I need you people to tell me what to read, preferably something from the last 10-15 years. That's right, I'm looking for a handout. Deal with it!

3 comments:

Opinionated White Trash said...

Most of my favorite books were written more than 15 years ago. And they are all Sci-Fi.

I haven't enjoyed reading anything written in the last 10-15 years EXCEPT for Chuck. And the best thing I think Chuck has written is Invisible Monsters. Choke, Fight Club, and Rant don't come close.

It's smart, funny (I sound like the NYT) it's vulgar, disgusting, and then it's shocking. Basically and sadly it told me things about myself I didn't know.

I like the theme of the post. The book is weak. The movie was awesome. And come to think of it, I'm not sure if I was more moved by Invisible Monsters, or the movie Where the Wild Things Are.

words...words...words... said...

Do you just read novels? Cause if not, I'm going to recommend a Chuck too. Chuck Klosterman. I eat his books like candy. I recommend "Sex, Drugs and Cocoa Puffs" first and you can go from there. He writes hilarious yet insightful essays on pop culture, especially music.

Liz said...

I don't just read novels, but that's what I'm up for right now. I actually own a few Klosterman books, WWW. I usually like him, though sometimes he drives me crazy. Thanks for the heads up!