Friday, April 9, 2010

Beer of the Month

Remember when I said I was gonna start a Beer of the Month Club way back in October? Ooops!

Well, here's our second installment. Ladies and gentleman, I give you Abita Brewing Co's Purple Haze! It's a wheat lager with hints of raspberry. I consumed my fair share while in the great city of New Orleans. Now, it's on tap at my San Diego favorite burger joint. Huzzah!

If you listen to the snobs at Beer Advocate, you'd think it sucks. And, I'm not gonna lie, it's a bit...what's the word I want...pedestrian. But considering I don't like wheat or fruit beers, I think it's pretty great. Plus, it's a pseudo-homage to Jimmy Hendix and he was cool and stuff.

So check out Purple Haze and lets us know about your favorite new adult beverage in the comments. There's no time like this weekend to broaden our drunken horizons, amirite?

6 comments:

Liz said...

I've been really into Deschutes Mirror Mirror lately. Its a barleywine. so you drink it in smaller glasses, and its a bit of an acquired taste, but worth aquiring, IMO

words...words...words... said...

I don't like wheat or fruit beers normally, either. But I will give it a try if I see it.

My new beer crush is Lagunitas IPA. California definitely has the best IPAs. I like this one better than the Dogfish Head and Stone IPAs, which (while I enjoy them) seem just a liiiiitle like stunt beers to me.

BeckEye said...

I'm excited for summer because I'll be able to start drinking watermelon beer again. I guess I could technically drink it now, but it's much more refreshing in the summer.

I think I've had this Purple Haze stuff. But if I want raspberry, I go with Lindemans Frambois.

McGone said...

@Words x3: I see the Lagunitas every week at my liquor store, but haven't pulled the trigger on a purchase yet. I'm too devoted to the local boys (Goose Island IPA). I dig the Dogfish Head, so you've got me intrigued.

Red said...

McGone: Having tried both Lagunitas and Goose Island, I say Lagunitas wins by a hair. Though, I think Stone bests them all...so take that for what it's worth.

MJenks said...

This is not what Jimi had in mind...