Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Beer of the Month

Since there are so many beer lovers around these parts, I thought I'd start a "beer of the month club," if you will, where we tell you about an awesome beer we've discovered and you respond by telling us how awesome Dogfish Head is compared to that beer. Sound like fun? Good. Here goes...

This past Friday, I met some friends at a new bar in the cool part of town (aside: "You've Got to Hide Your Love Away" came on the jukebox at one point and I was singing along (natch) and I made eye contact with a dude at the next table and he was singing along, too. He came over and gave me a high-five and said, "I think we're the only people in here who know this song" and that made me really sad) and had a Bootlegger's Black Phoenix. OMFG was it delicious. It's an American Stout with coffee and chipotle pepper! Chipotle, people. Simply genius. I could not get enough (and considering it's a limited edition, that really sucks). However, I've since discovered several brewers make something similar so there is hope.

I'm still dreaming about it's deliciousness this very second. Liz, wanna grab a beer tonight after band practice?

My graphic design skillz are sick!!!

What you got?

10 comments:

MichelleSG said...

Try Flying Dog's Double Dog. Brennan can barely finish a bottle. His fav is still Dog Fish Head's 90 minute though.

MJenks said...

I'll compare styles, then.

I'd recommend Victory's "Storm King Stout". I'm not sure how far and wide Victory is distributing now. There might be some vendors who could special order it.

It has a rich, dark body and a rich, dark flavor to perfectly complement that body. With a strong mouthfeel and evenly carbonated, flavors of cherry, plums and roasted coffee spring on the back of the tongue. It lingers a bit, but it's not overly cloying, despite the somewhat subtle fruitiness of the flavor. It's probably my favorite stout.

Anonymous said...

Yummy! You know when I lived in Manhattan there was a deli opposite my apartment the first few years that specialized in beers. They had over 400 varieties. I used to buy the ones with the hilarious names like "Wanker Beer". I remember also years ago being in Germany and doing some beer tasting and they had some delicious dark beer that had actual strawberries in it. Not just the flavour the actual fruit. It was quite wonderful.

And check you out singing Beatles songs. For the record, I like that song a lot, especially John Lennon's droning voice.

Liz said...

::Sigh:: Today is supposed to be a dryout day for me, but you know how powerless I am in the face of the phrase, "Wanna grab a beer?"

BeckEye said...

Where do you go drinking that only 2 people know "You've Got To Hide Your Love Away?" The elementary school cafeteria?

Red said...

Becks: I know, right? I think the guy and I just wanted to feel superior for a moment. I mean, it was a bar full of hipsters. I'm sure everyone knew that song...we were just the only two dorky enough to sing along.

danielle970 said...

I, too, know "You've Got To Hide Your Love Away." It is in fact one of my favorite songs. So =P

words...words...words... said...

Your visual aid displays exactly how I felt upon hearing of the wonderful Bootlegger's Black Phoenix. Beer AND coffee AND chipotle? Sign me up. I must find this.

Beer Of The Month Club is a fantastic idea.

So is getting the band back together.

Brand New said...

Abita Amber... and no other

Del-V said...

Mmmm... Dogfish Head.