So, I'm all about lists lately. What are you gonna do about it? Here are my favorite new TV characters (i.e. those who appear on a show that debuted in 2009 or are a new addition to a show in 2009):
1. Precious Ramotswe No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency (HBO) - Jill Scott is amazing as the lead in this new HBO series, based on the novels of the same name. As Botswana's first lady detective, Precious is tough, charming and totally comfortable in her own skin. One of my new favorite shows.
2. Trevor Pierce Cupid (ABC) - Cupid originally debuted in 1998 and starred Jeremy Piven. In the 2009 reboot, Bobby Cannavale who's been on my crush radar since The Station Agent, plays the god of love, sent to earth by the gods of Olympus to make 100 true love matches. They show is cute, but Bobby makes it "must see." Even if Samantha claims he has funky spunk, I feel an obsession coming on!
3. Coach Survivor (CBS) - Survivor, in it's, like, 20th season, has seen it's fair share of whack jobs, but Coach takes the effing cake. He calls himself the "Dragon Slayer," hates women and proclaims himself the mastermind of just about everything...without ever performing well in challenges or the social game. This week, he told his tribe mates he was kidnapped by small Peruvians while kayaking down the Amazon and beaten until nearly dead before making a daring escape back down the river. I've known some story tellers in my day, but no one out does Coach. Just, fascinating.
4. Charles Miner The Office (NBC) - Things have been shaken up in the Dunder-Mifflin world and it's yielded some of the funniest episodes of the season. Idris Elba (RIP Stringer Bell!) is awesome as the anti-Micheal...he respects Dwight, thinks Jim is a slacker and makes Stanley put down his damn crossword puzzles. Basically, he's actually the World's Best Boss.
5. Adelle DeWitt Dollhouse (Fox) - Eliza Dushku be damned, I love Dollhouse. Olivia Williams is perfection as the British head of the house. She's witty and powerful and not afraid to send your ass to the attic if you step out of line.
How about you? Any new shows/characters you're loving at the moment?