Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Worlds Collide


I was just reading about Ben Folds' new album. On it, Ben recorded college a cappella groups performing, essentially, his greatest hits. Sounds amazing, right? It's out April 28th.

At the end of the interview, Ben, no stranger to wacky collaborations, mentions his next project will be with author Nick Hornby (if you're not familiar, check out Songbook, wherein he talks about his favorite pop songs, including Ben Folds Five's "Smoke" (and rightly deems Springsteen's "Thunder Road" the greatest song ever)). Nick will write the lyrics and Ben the music. Holy Christ, this is exciting! As a huge fan of both fellas, I already proclaim this the best album ever! I can't wait to actually hear it.

8 comments:

words...words...words... said...

COOL. I like Ben Folds and love Nick Hornby. Songbook is one of my favorite books and I like giving it as a gift to people who love music. I'm afraid he's wrong about "Thunder Road" though, and I am a big Springsteen fan.

Moderator said...

I've read neither Nick Hornby nor listened to Ben Folds. I am a mole person.

Liz said...

That's cool. I can't think of anything like this happening before - an author and musician getting together for an album. Its pretty rad though. I need to listen to more Ben Folds

Anonymous said...

I freaking LOVE Ben Folds!

Del-V said...

I also think he's wrong about "Thunder Road." It's good, but "Born to Run" is the best Rock and Roll song America has ever produced.

Dr. Kenneth Noisewater said...

I like Nick and Ben, but is Ben really starting to think he's Elton John in that photo? Next thing you know he'll be playing piano in a bird costume.

I really liked the collaboration of The Bens with Ben Folds, Ben Kweller, and Ben Lee. There was a really good EP, but did the full-length ever come out?

Dr. Kenneth Noisewater said...

Hey, just found this site through Pistols, a close, personal nonfriend of mine, and I wanted to comment on the Kanye post as well. Wouldn't it be funny if he was so into being humble now that he was like, "I am the humblest rapper around! Ain't nobody humbler than this n@gg*!" Irony?

Red said...

The Bens just put out an EP, but I agree. It's totally awesome and I wish they'd do more.