Friday, February 20, 2009

Oscar Predictions '09


Us gals here at GitW have put our lovely heads together and come up with what we think will happen (and what we'd like to happen) at this weekend's Oscar ceremony in Hell-A. I left out most of the techy awards, because who cares, right? Feel free to debate and discuss!

Red's Pics

Best Picture:
Will Win: Slumdog Millionaire
Should Win: Milk


Director:
Will Win: Danny Boyle
Should Win: Gus Van Sant

Actor:
Sean Penn

Actress:
Will: Kate Winslet
Should: Kate Winslet, but for Revolutionary Road


Supporting Actor:
Heath Ledger

Supporting Actress:
Amy Adams


Original Screenplay:
WALL-E


Adapted Screenplay:
Slumdog Millionaire

Animated Feature:
WALL-E


Documentary:
Man On Wire

Foreign Film:
The Class

Song:
Will: Down to Earth from Wall-E
Should: The Wrestler by Bruce Springsteen, even though he wasn't nominated

Cinematography:
Slumdog Millionaire


Liz's Pics: (Note: Liz hasn't seen nearly as many films as Red, so a lot of these are guesses).

Best Picture:
Slumdog Millionaire

Director:
Danny Boyle

Actor:
Will Win: Sean Penn
Should Win: Mickey Rourke


Actress:
Kate Winslet

Supporting Actor:
Will Win: Heath Ledger
Should Win: Probably Heath, but I thought Michael Shannon was awesome in Rev. Road


Supporting Actress:
Will Win: Penelope Cruz
Should Win: I want to say Amy Adams, but I haven't seen Vicky Christina Barcelona, so maybe Cruz deserves it.

Original Screenplay:
Will Win: Milk
Should Win: In Bruges

Adapated Screenplay:
Slumdog Millionaire

Animated Feature:
Wall-E (Should have been nominated for Best Picture)


Documentary:
Man on a Wire

Foreign Film:
Waltz with Bashir


Song:
Will Win: Down to Earth from Wall-E
Should Win: Jai Ho from Slumdog Millionaire

Cinematography:
Will Win: Slumdog
Should Win: Benjamin Button

8 comments:

The Imaginary Reviewer said...

Okay, so I sat down last night and circled my picks in the annual competition between me and the Future Mrs. I think I've seen one of the films that's been nominated for anything (Batman) so everything is a guess for me. I think I'm more aligned with Red's picks (out of coincidence), apart from Heath Ledger, who I want to see lose just so all the fanboys cry in the streets.

paperback reader said...

I haven't seen a single Best Picture nominee for the first time in years, and I just can't bring myself to care.

words...words...words... said...

I'm glad for the Wall-E love! I think it was the best movie of the year.

As much as I liked Milk, I would prefer Slumdog Millionaire for Best Picture and Frank Langella for Best Actor.

I think it must have been a weak year for acting. The nominations for Josh Brolin, Robert Downey Jr., Brad Pitt, and anyone in Doubt utterly mystify me.

Red said...

To be fair, a lot of mine are guess, too.

WWW: You are crazy. With the exception of Brad Pitt, all the people you mentioned totally deserve those nominations. Especially RDJ and Josh Brolin.

Red said...

Oh, and Garney is so gonna yell at you, Liz, for saying no one cares about the technical awards.

Liz said...

I should have clarified: No NORMAL people care about the tech awards ;-)

(JK Garn!)

words...words...words... said...

Red: I am not crazy, the world is crazy! Everything would be so much easier if everyone just listened to me.

Malcolm said...

"Slumdog Millionaire" has all the momentum, so I will be shocked if it doesn't walk away with most of the awards for which it's been nominated. The race that I am most interested in is the one for Best Actor. I'm pulling for Mickey to win. I love a true comeback story like Mickey's. Plus, he probably will give a memorable acceptance speech. Although I doubt we will get a shot of Darren Aronofsky in the audience playfully giving Mickey the finger.