Monday, September 22, 2008

Add This to Your Queue: Speed Racer

I wanted to see Speed Racer, a live action version of the old Japanese cartoon by the Wachowski brothers, while it was in the theater because the trailer looked so totally rad. Then, it came out and the reviews were terrible, and I decided to see Iron Man instead. Now Speed Racer is out on DVD and available to view on my own personal "big screen." I watched it last night while everyone else in San Diego cheered on the Chargers...and totally enjoyed it.

During it's theatrical release, most of the poor reviews criticized the less than stellar plot and the claimed no one under 10 would like the film. Well, I'm nearly 30 and I loved every minute...mainly because it looks unlike any movie I've ever seen. Sure, some of the acting is over-the-top and some of the gags are aimed purely at children while the main plot confilct is rather heady, but the anime/video game world the Wachowski's created is truly amazing. Much like their The Matrix movies, Speed Racer is worth checking out for the visuals, if nothing else.

Also, could someone please get Christina Ricci a sandwich? Anyone?

8 comments:

BeckEye said...

Red, you know I love and respect you. But I will not add this to my queue. I have to put my foot down on this one.

Dr Zibbs said...

For how much I loved Speed Racer the cartoon and really like C Ricci (despite huge forehead and bug eyes) - I can't watch any movie that they say feels like a video game.

Mel O said...

Christina Ricci most definitely needs a sandwich.

Ew.

words...words...words... said...

I loved this movie. You have to accept it on its own terms. And this is NOT just because everyone who knows me knows that Speed Racer was my favorite TV show as a kid. Match Game was second. I was a weird kid.

One complaint: The Mach SIX? WTF? Unacceptable.

Falwless said...

I have no idea how you sit through all of these movies. I have negative 1,000 interest in seeing this. You're a better human than me.

Jon said...

Yeah, this one just doesn't interest me. Not even the "surprisingly cute despite the huge lollypop head" Christina Ricci could change my mind.

paperback reader said...

Maybe if I'm ever trapped on an airplane and I've seen every other movie they're playing already, I'll consider it.

Garney said...

mmmm... Ricci Sandwich...