Monday, November 26, 2007

Tesla Still Gets No Respect

Over at Pink Hat Nation, Liz started a little column she called Tanked and Friendless which I will now steal and use here.


This weekend, I journeyed up I-5 to Los Angeles...City of people who've had enough work to look like what they imagine Angels look like. A friend of a friend had a going away party at The Edison downtown. Situated between the financial district and skid row, The Edison is leading the nightlife rejuvenation in historic downtown LA and was created in LA's first private power plant. When you enter the bar from the alley (where there is no sign because, as we all learned from Swingers, the coolest bars don't have signs) and travel down into a huge, open room, it's like you've been transported to a 1920's speakeasy, with 3 bars, old movies projected on the walls and plenty of space for lounging. It really is like stepping back in time...when women wore dresses, men wore suits and the most scandalous thing you could do on a Saturday night was drink (there is a dress code at The Edison...not overly strict, but you are expected to dress intentionally. I love this. More places should have a dress code). The creators of The Edison used architectural elements from the power plant (like huge generators) and themes from the dawn of electricity (hence the name "The Edison") to create a truly original bar.

The food is good (I had the four cheese and black truffle Mac and Cheese. Yum. There's also a lobster corn dog that sounds really interesting), the drinks are "hand crafted" (I'm sure they are delicious, but I had beer), and the people are very LA (actors out to see and be seen...I mean, we met a guy who told us he played Lloyd's assistant on Entourage. I've seen every episode of Entourage. I don't remember Lloyd having an assistant), but the real draw is the decor and the feeling that you've stepped back in time. If you are in LA, this is a place not to be missed.

Name: The Edison
Location: 108 W. 2nd St. #101 Los Angeles, CA
Fun Fact: After 10:30, flappers entertain the crowed with terrific numbers from the swing era several times throughout the evening.
State of the Guinness: They don't serve Guinness (I know! The horror!!!), but the Fat Tire is ice cold and delicious.

1 comment:

Liz said...

I need to get back on the Tanked and Friendless horse. There's been talk of turning it into its own blog, but I'm not sure I can handle 3 blogs. Thanks for bringing it back!