Tuesday, October 13, 2009

At The Movies: A Serious Man



I had the day off yesterday and believe I am now, officially, the only person who still gets Columbus Day off. Sweet! Anyway, I took advantage of the time and saw the new Coen Brother's movie A Serious Man. The film can be described in one word: Jewy* (I was calling it the Jewiest Movie Ever, but then I remembered someone made Yentl, so now it's a toss up).

Set in 1967 Minnesota, A Serious Man is apparently loosely based on the Midwestern community of the Coens' youth. The film follows Larry Gopnik, a physics professor, who's life is in turmoil. He turns to his local rabbis for help and guidance and they, frankly, aren't much help. As in life, a lot happens in A Serious Man, but in the end, you're left wondering "What's it all about Alfie?" I kind of have no idea, but I know I enjoyed it. The cast is wonderful and it feels very Coen, which is always a good thing. Perhaps if I were Jewish it would have made more sense. You should check it out and see if you have a clearer understanding of it all. Then report back.

This is a terrible review. I apologize.

* FYI, this is totally a good thing...especially coming from someone who's wished she was Jewish since she first laid eyes on Miles Silverberg in the 6th grade.

9 comments:

The Imaginary Reviewer said...

My God! Did you just reference a Cilla Black song? Wow, I need to...I need to go off somewhere and recover.

McGone said...

I was reading the script to this and just based on the opening scene, I can in fact agree with "jewy." My God, I didn't intend for that to sound so anti-Semitic.

I'm anxiously awaiting the time when I can see it, but until then I always have the fantastic trailer they put together for this. It's mesmerizing.

BeckEye said...

Like McGone, I hate Jews.

That is what he was saying, right? If not, I was only joking.

I also hate you and Falwless. That bitch had off yesterday too.

Red said...

TIR - Do you mean the Alfie song? I dunno who actually sings it...I've never ever seen the original movie...I just think of that song whenever I think of the phrase "What's it all about?" My brain is weird.

McGone - Did I sound anti-Semetic when I said that? I didn't mean to. I love the Jews! And it is a fantastic trailer.

Becks - You obviously need to get into the banking and/or warmongering business.

Anyone who cares - I realized after reading a real review of this movie I'd heard the Coens were gonna do a Book of Job thing with this one...which I totally forgot about. When you think of it in those terms, it totally makes sense. Oops!

McGone said...

No, for some reason when you said it it didn't seem anti-Semetic. But when I typed it, I felt like I was wearing jackboots for a second.*

It kind of reminds me of that episode of 30 Rock where Jack and Liz would mention Salma Hayek's character being Puerto Rican, and follow up with a "Is that racist?"


*In the interest of clearing the air, I do not hate the Jews in the slightest. Unlike that awful BeckEye woman. Unless that's not what she was really saying.**

**I do not really believe BeckEye is awful. I find her delightful, in fact. Except for all the hatred.

Red said...

"How are you so quite when your parades are so loud?!?"

Liz said...

I love the direction these comments have taken. I feel like George Constanza in the episode where Elain might be dating a black guy, but isn't sure. "I'm not sure we should be talking about this."

danielle970 said...

Miles Silverberg, oh the crush I had on him....

words...words...words... said...

I always seem to focus on the minutiae of your entries, but...Miles Silverberg? Really?

As for the actual content of the entry, it is a Coens movie and thus I will see it, Jewy or not. Besides, if it weren't for Jews, I wouldn't ever work. So I am happy to fill their coffers.