Thursday, June 5, 2008

Has anybody here seen my old friend Bobby?


Growing up the daughter of Irish Catholic baby boomers in Massachusetts, there were two guarantees: Boiled food, and a reverence for the Kennedys.

In light of that - combined with my well-established history nerdom – it should come as no surprise that by the time I was 16, I had a favorite Kennedy: Bobby.

All the Kennedys were flawed, of course – they were unfaithful husbands, possibly mobbed up, and involved in some very dubious car accidents – but you can’t deny they had style. And to me, RFK had the most. He had more empathy, bigger dreams and a less freakishly large head than JFK, and since he only spent two years as an elected official, there are fewer politically expedient votes to nitpick him for.

The reason I bring this up (like we ever need a reason to bring things up on this blog?) is because today marks the 40th anniversary of Robert Kennedy’s death. (He was shot 40 years ago yesterday, and died the next day).

A lot of papers and news organizations are doing tributes and what not, and a few of them are worth reading, if you’re interested. Some of them go overboard, basically making it sound as if everything from 9/11 to Glitter would never have happened if RFK had become president, but still, if you're not moved by these quotes, you probably don’t have soul. (In which case, wanna come over and watch MMA with me on Saturday night? It's my new thing).


You, hating the Kennedys.

6 comments:

doorknob_dan said...

I never liked any of the Kennedys.

Okay, they were alright I guess, but really, what did they do lately for ME?

(Aside from making big teeth a hallmark of modern day quasi-royalty.)

(Kidding, I don't have big teeth, I just wanted to work them in somehow.)

Falwless said...

bahahahahaha: Some of them go overboard, basically making it sound as if everything from 9/11 to Glitter would never have happened if RFK had become president..

bahahahaha.

Oh lord. Good times. I wonder if any fine patriot could have stopped Glitter.

Red said...

JFK was always my favorite Kennedy, but I am kinda generic like that.

Dave Harrington said...

I do like Bobby and have a soul, but also still want to watch MMA.

Anonymous said...

Agree, R was the FK of my choice too.When my mom heard of his death she went into labour. My brother's 40th b'day is on Sunday.

By Glitter, I hope you don't mean Gary(!)

Liz said...

Dude that Slice/Thompson fight was TOTALLY fixed! Which kind of makes me enjoy MMA even more. They just need to get the Russian mob involved somehow and it will officially be boxing for the new millenium.