Monday, October 1, 2007

OK Piracy

Radiohead announced last night that they’re releasing they’re upcoming album In Rainbows via the Internet – and only via the Internet - on October 10. And that’s not even the most interesting part.

The most interesting part is that you get to decide how much you want to pay for it. $15? $10? How about $0? That’s right, you can get it for free if you want.


I’m torn. At first I thought, “You know what? I really like Radiohead, this is very cool of them, I know they have more money than they’ll ever need, but I’ll give them 5 bucks for this record.” But then I was discussing it with a co-worker, and he pointed out that if you can get it for free, but you don’t, you’re kind of a chump.

What do you think? To pay or not to pay? I don’t want to be a chump, but it also might be nice to have some protection from the karma police.

(Sorry, I’m a sucker for lame puns).

3 comments:

Red said...

I don't think you're a chump if you pay something. I think giving anything is a gesture of appreciation. I mean, 5 bucks buys you 1.5 Starbucks...paying that every day makes you a chump...

Dave Harrington said...

Well, I acutally bought OK Computer and the Eraser, so I'll thow $5 for this one, consider it gratuity.

Garney said...

I'm going to download it for free.

I'm a bigger Radiohead fan than all of you combined. Trust me.

I paid for every Radiohead album (and several EPs and singles and tributes etc.) except for Hail To The Thief which I won an advance copy through the radio.

I've earned my free copy.

If I absolutely love it I'll go back and throw some money at them.

But I was disappointed with The Eraser. It wasn't bad... just experimentation in familiar territory that didn't harvest any memorable gems.