Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Signs I am Getting Old - Vol. 2


There has been a lot of discussion about the best and worst new shows this season, but we haven't talked about the most surprising new show. For me it's Carpoolers. I know what you are thinking. The premise seems so lame (a bunch of guys who carpool to work and talk about their woman problems) and the big name draw is Jerry O'Connell (anyone else think it's crazy the chubby kid from Stand By Me is now playing "the hot guy" all the time?), but it's actually pretty funny. Sure, the main couple (Faith Ford and some guy I could IMDB, but can't really be bothered) are kinda generic in a very What About Jim kinda way, but their son Marmaduke (yes, like the dog) is freaking hilarious. Jerry O'Connell plays a hot, divorced dentist. Jerry Minor plays a whipped dad of, like, 7 kids who waits on his lazy wife. And the fourth guy (okay fine...Tim Peper...who was on Guiding Light, alright?!?) plays a newlywed who's perky wife is probably my least favorite character. The show was created by Bruce McCulloch of Kids in the Hall (and Gilmore Girls!) so I suppose I shouldn't be too surprised it's actually funny. I realize I won't be winning any cool points for liking this show (and it kinda makes me feel old that I actually like the generic couple sitcom), but that's okay. I'm just saying it's worth checking out.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Okay, yeah, you're right, you're getting no cool points. But, I must admit it makes me want to tune in now. My immediate impulse is to flip past. I might actually watch next time...

Red said...

I know, I know. It's shameful. I almost didn't post about it I was so embarrassed, but it made me laugh out loud several times. That's worth something right? And there's nothing else on in that time slot.

Okay. I'll stop with the justifications now...

Garney said...

That other guy was in that imrpovisational ensemble show that Lorne Michaels created that was a midseason deal last year.

It had a generic title like The Family Tree or something like that.

It wasn't very good.

But I also like Carpoolers. It's not one of my season passes, but I'll watch it if it's on.

Red said...

Yeah. I've decided it's def a "I'll watch it if it's on" show. Same with Samantha Who?