Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Top 5: Happy Halloween


I am stuck in stormy Florida for Halloween, wishing I was at home, with friends, watching scary movies. Here are the top 5 scariest movies I've ever seen (and wish I could watch tonight):

Pet Semetery - I saw this in the theaters in 1989 ( I was 10) and it scared the crap out of me. 10 is probably a little early for a horror movies, but my mom is Stephen King's biggest fan and I guess she wanted to introduce us early (I blame them both for most things wrong with me). I remember being unable to sleep in my own room after watching it and being scared for months Rachel, the creepy, brown, puss mouthed, bed-ridden sister, would be in my bed every time I walked into my room. Thanks, Ma.

The Blair Witch Project - I saw it opening weekend when people still thought it was real footage of kids murdered in the woods. The ending was really freaking scary. Of course, now it seems a little lame, but if I could watch it again for the first time, I would...if that makes any sense.

The Ring - I really thought I was gonna die seven days after I watched this movie (I kinda have an overactive imagination. You're shocked, I'm sure). When I watched it at a friends house for the first time, the phone rang immediately after the DVD finished. I almost cried, I was so scared.
(Fun trivia fact: The girl who played the creepy well girl plays psycho Rhonda on Big Love. Awesome.)

The Silence of the Lambs - Such a good movie, I sometimes forget it's really scary, too. When Buffalo Bill is watching Clarice Starling in the pitch black with his night vision goggles, I can hardly watch. I think every woman fears being held in a basement well by some creepy guy, ready to do God knows what to her body (even if he is very adamant about keeping you properly moisturized).

Seven - More of a thriller then a scary movie, it's still hard to watch this one alone. I jump every time the icky Sloth man breathes and Brad wasn't the only one freaked out about "what's in the box."

I'll know I've missed a ton of great scary movies (the new Dawn of the Dead, Nightmare on Elm Street, 28 Days Later, all gave me sleepless nights), so feel free to tell me what I got wrong in the comment section.

5 comments:

Liz said...

I think my favorite scary movie is 28 Days Later. You gave it a shout out at the end. I love how it's pretty much a fright fest until the end, when it becomes a cerebral meditation on human nature.

I always want to like vampire movies, but end up disappointed.

Red said...

I almost put 28 Days Later instead of Blair Witch because it's obvs a much cooler choice, but I had to keep it real and say BW because it was scarier at the time.

Dave H said...

PUT THE LOTION IN THE BASKET!

Garney said...

Rosemary's Baby deserves an honorable mention.

Red said...

I've never seen Rosemary's Baby. I need to...