Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Top 5: Happy Halloween


I am stuck in stormy Florida for Halloween, wishing I was at home, with friends, watching scary movies. Here are the top 5 scariest movies I've ever seen (and wish I could watch tonight):

Pet Semetery - I saw this in the theaters in 1989 ( I was 10) and it scared the crap out of me. 10 is probably a little early for a horror movies, but my mom is Stephen King's biggest fan and I guess she wanted to introduce us early (I blame them both for most things wrong with me). I remember being unable to sleep in my own room after watching it and being scared for months Rachel, the creepy, brown, puss mouthed, bed-ridden sister, would be in my bed every time I walked into my room. Thanks, Ma.

The Blair Witch Project - I saw it opening weekend when people still thought it was real footage of kids murdered in the woods. The ending was really freaking scary. Of course, now it seems a little lame, but if I could watch it again for the first time, I would...if that makes any sense.

The Ring - I really thought I was gonna die seven days after I watched this movie (I kinda have an overactive imagination. You're shocked, I'm sure). When I watched it at a friends house for the first time, the phone rang immediately after the DVD finished. I almost cried, I was so scared.
(Fun trivia fact: The girl who played the creepy well girl plays psycho Rhonda on Big Love. Awesome.)

The Silence of the Lambs - Such a good movie, I sometimes forget it's really scary, too. When Buffalo Bill is watching Clarice Starling in the pitch black with his night vision goggles, I can hardly watch. I think every woman fears being held in a basement well by some creepy guy, ready to do God knows what to her body (even if he is very adamant about keeping you properly moisturized).

Seven - More of a thriller then a scary movie, it's still hard to watch this one alone. I jump every time the icky Sloth man breathes and Brad wasn't the only one freaked out about "what's in the box."

I'll know I've missed a ton of great scary movies (the new Dawn of the Dead, Nightmare on Elm Street, 28 Days Later, all gave me sleepless nights), so feel free to tell me what I got wrong in the comment section.

5 comments:

Liz said...

I think my favorite scary movie is 28 Days Later. You gave it a shout out at the end. I love how it's pretty much a fright fest until the end, when it becomes a cerebral meditation on human nature.

I always want to like vampire movies, but end up disappointed.

Red said...

I almost put 28 Days Later instead of Blair Witch because it's obvs a much cooler choice, but I had to keep it real and say BW because it was scarier at the time.

Dave Harrington said...

PUT THE LOTION IN THE BASKET!

Garney said...

Rosemary's Baby deserves an honorable mention.

Red said...

I've never seen Rosemary's Baby. I need to...