Sunday, April 20, 2008

At the Movies: Forgetting Sarah Marshall

What do you get when you put a bunch of my favorite TV actors in a movie and send them to Hawaii? Hilarity, that's what. As I'm sure you've learned from the previews, Forgetting Sarah Marshall stars Jason Segel (aka Marshall from HIMYM or, as I like to remember him, Nick Andopolis from Freaks and Geeks) as Peter, a composer, who's girlfriend (Kristen Bell fka Veronica Mars) dumps him for a hot (and hilarious) British front man...while he's naked. Like, really naked. Peter is horribly upset and decides to take a vacation in Hawaii...where he runs into the ex and her new man. He also meets the lovely Rachel (Mila Kunis fka Jackie from That 70's Show) and the love story unfolds from there.

The movie is really funny (more Knocked Up than Superbad...which I prefer). I laughed out loud through most of it, especially the moments when Peter showcases work from his Dracula musical as performed with puppets (it's like Avenue Q meets, well, Dracula). Paul Rudd, Jonah Hill, Bill Hader (the funny one on SNL) and Jack McBrayer (Kenneth from 30 Rock) are all hilarious in supporting roles (is there anything Paul Rudd is not funny in? (I mean lately. His early work not included)). I think people looking for the gross out factor of most of the Judd Apatow produced works may be a little disappointed (although, the repeated shots of Segel's penis are pretty, well, not gross, but shocking to say the least), but I found the movie really funny and even charming. And Segel has totally joined my list of celebrity crushes (as if the list wasn't long enough). If you have any interest at all in seeing Forgetting Sarah Marshall, do it. You'll laugh. I guarantee it*.

* Here's where I'm supposed to say "guarantees will not be honored in any way," but if you see this movie and don't laugh even once, I will send you something...and write you off as a soulless robot who can't laugh.

7 comments:

BeckEye said...

Hmm. I actually liked Superbad better than Knocked Up. Still wanna make that guarantee, chief?

But, Paul Rudd's in it. I'm guaranteed to at least like the parts he's in, which is really enough.

Falwless said...

No way, Knocked Up was much better than Superbad. Red is correct. BeckEye is mistaken.

And I really had no idea this movie was as good as you say it is. I will go see this, purely on this review. I'm praying I'm not a soulless robot.

Red said...

Beckeye: You will laugh whenever Paul Rudd graces the screen. There is your personalized guarantee.

Fal: I love the definitive way you proclaim my correctness.

And I should say, the movie is not, like, a "great" movie. It's fairly predictable and not as funny as Knocked Up (though I do think it's funnier than Superbad), but it's definitely funny and worth seeing.

Garney said...

Was Peter's peter impressive?

Red said...

I'm not gonna lie. His peter is one of the reasons he's now on the celeb crush list.

BeckEye said...

Falwless is wrong, as usual. I mean, she wears an eye patch. She has no depth perception. Her movie reviews don't count.

paperback reader said...

Will you send me your disdain?

I don't have time to go to the movies ever, but in like five years, I will totally see it, based solely on your recommendation.