Friday, March 28, 2008

Add This to Your Queue

I realize it's Spring and time to come out of hibernation and do outdoorsy stuff. However, if, like me, you prefer your big lovely couch to hiking up mountains, here are 4 movies worth your rental dollars:


Enchanted - Sure it's a Disney movie with singing and talking chipmunks, but it's really wonderful. It's the cleverest twist on the classic fairy tale, well, ever. Amy Adams is fantastic as Giselle, a cartoon maiden sent to NYC by a wicked witch hellbent on stopping her marriage to the prince. James "why isn't he a bigger star" Marsden, Patrick "I refuse to call him McDreamy" Dempsey, Susan "walking advertisement for looking phenomenal at 61!" Sarandon and Idina "Mrs. Taye Diggs" Menzel round out the terrific cast. If I ever have a little girl (you know, when someone finally gives in and marries me), this is the Disney princess movie she watching.

The King of Kong: A Fistful of Quarters - Who knew competitive video gaming was so interesting? This documentary follows Steve Weibe, an out of work engineer who decides to set the high score at Donkey Kong and obtain the world record. To do so, he has to take down Billy Mitchell, who set the high score in 1982 and has become a god in the classic video game community. It's a truly fascinating look at this crazy world. Read another (better) review here.

Sunshine - From the team that brought you 28 Days Later, Sunshine is a futuristic tale about a team of scientists who journey to the Sun. 50 years in the future, the Sun is dying and if the Sun dies, so goes the human race. The plan is to get to the Sun and set off a nuclear bomb to keep the Sun alive. Of course, things go very bad, as things tend to do, and the crew encounters a creepy journey to save the universe. Sunshine is a bit flawed, but it creeped me out for sure.


Dan in Real Life - I'm not really sure who this movie was made for...it falls into that "male romantic comedy" genre, which is really oxymoronic when you think about it. Nevertheless, it's funny and sweet and anyone with a soul will love it. Dan (Steve Carrell) is a widower who falls for Marie (Juliette Binoche because, c'mon. Who wouldn't?), but it turns out Marie already has a man...Dan's brother (Dane Cook, who, much to my shock and horror, I didn't hate). They, along with the rest of Dan's crazy family, spend the weekend together at their parent's home in Rhode Island and wackiness ensues. It's great. Check it out.

Because, when it comes down to it, who needs sunshine? (well, other than the movie Sunshine. Oh, nevermind...)

7 comments:

doorknob_dan said...

Dan in Real Life?

Jesus, you don't really want to know.

Sunshine was awesome - but flawed? Eh? It was true to life in every respect!

Falwless said...

You know, this post came at the right time. I've been wanting to see The King of Kong for some time now, and just yesterday someone else told me how great Dan in Real Life was. I think I'll just take you up on this and rent them both this weekend. Thanks, Red. You're the best. Stay sweet! XXOO

Red said...

D: If your life is anything like Carrell's in the film, you've been holding out on us.

And I'd tell you why I thought Sunshine was flawed, but it would give too much away.

Fal: I just want you to know, you're my favorite.

Garney said...

Dan in Real Life and Enchanted were two of my absolute favorites from last year, but you already know that...

Falwless said...

I just watched The King of Kong. I was riveted. What a very odd, odd world that is of gaming fanatics. It made me feel a little bit better about my own loserdom.

Anyway, GO WIEBE! I hate Billy Mitchell.

paperback reader said...

I saw The King of Kong about two years ago at a film festival, and it was fantastic. "I mean, because of who I am, whatever I say...it's controversial. Like, abortion."

Red said...

Yeah. Billy Mitchell is pure evil...