Monday, March 10, 2008

Top 5: All Time Favorite TV Shows

Let's get to know each other a little better, shall we? This week, along with your regularly scheduled blogging, I'll be posting my favorite bits of popular entertainment and you can post yours in the comments. Sound fair? Let's start with my 5 favorite TV shows (note: these are not what I consider the best TV shows ever...just my favorites):

1. My So-Called Life - I think every girl alive in the 90's loves this show. It's really a brilliant look at the life of a teenager. I'm kinda glad, in hindsight, it only lasted one season...so the creators didn't have time to turn it into a soap-opera. It's perfect in it's melodramatic simplicity.

2. The Wonder Years - A terrific bend of nostalgia and real life. The fact that Winnie and Kevin didn't end up together in the end made it all the more wonderful.

3. Sex and the City - I've been rewatching the entire series lately (for the 3rd or 4th time. Don't judge) and it really is so funny and frighteningly accurate. I've dated a couple Mr. Bigs, have been lucky enough for have friends like Charlotte, Miranda and Samantha, and made all the stupid mistakes Carrie made (well, I never broke of an engagement with someone as amazing as Aiden, but I'm definitely dumb enough to do so). I know a lot of guys who hate this show (think it's too girly or whatever), but really, men should be thankful this show came along. It made women more aware and less baby/marriage crazy (unless the girl is a "Charlotte" of course).

4. Freaks and Geeks - Another one season wonder; another look at teenage life; another smokin' hot love interest, but Freaks and Geeks is a bit less melodramatic than MSCL and therefore, more realistic. Also, this show gave the world the genius that is Judd Apatow. Thank God for that.

5. The Wire - I think you know why at this point.

Honorable Mentions: The Simpsons, Veronica Mars, Roseanne, Quantum Leap, The Office, Gilmore Girls, The Cosby Show, Fraggle Rock, MMC

Okay. Your turn...

11 comments:

Monika said...

I love the Simpsons and Gilmore Girls!

Jon said...

What did you think of the Wire finale last night? Personally, I'm bummed to see it go...

Red said...

I thought the ending was great. A bit upbeat for such a serious series, but I liked the montage at the end.

Very sad to see it go...

Anonymous said...

Ab Fab, bestest ever.

BeckEye said...

The Twilight Zone is my favorite show ever.

doorknob_dan said...

1. South Park
2. The Office
3. Star Trek: Next Generation
4. V
5. Cheers

Falwless said...

I'm sorry, but I'm going to have to disagree with all of your choices.

1. The Hogan Family
2. Hunter
3. Cavemen
4. Cop Rock
5. My Mother the Car

Garney said...

1. The Simpsons
2. The Wire
3. Arrested Development
4. Curb Your Enthusiasm
5. Sports Night

Those are the only ones where I pretty much love almost every episode.

The Guv'ner said...

Holy crap, "The Wonder Years" and "Freaks and Geeks" in one list? You are AWESOME! :)

I would have those in mine. And The X-Files, Homicide, South Park and Medium. I admit I loved My So Called Life as well. Hated Jared Leto though. He always makes me want to sucker punch him.

The Guv'ner said...

WHOA I forgot 'Sports Night' till I read Garney's comment. That show ROCKED. I must get those on DVD. I miss that show.

Liz said...

"I was watching Sex and the City and I thought of you" are twelve of the most terrifying words I ever heard my Mom say.