Monday, March 24, 2008

Damn the man!

So there's this band called Be Your Own Pet that all the hipper-than-thou blogs like Pitchfork love. They're decent; a scrappy little punk band that sings songs about high school but are better than your average high school band, you know? I think they mostly got attention because they were discovered by Thurston Moore or something. I don't dislike them, but also don't quite get what all the hype is about either.

But that's not the point. The point is, the man is trying to keep them down! And I don't care who you are, I am always anti-man-keeping-down. Apparently this band's second album, Get Awkward, is being distributed by Universal, and Universal decided three of their songs are "too violent" and cut them from the record. This from the label that brought us Eminem's Kim.

OK, so yeah, the songs do talk about killing someone 'cause your bored and getting into a knife fight with your former best friend, but knowing the band, I think this is done more tongue in cheek than instructionally. And it's not like it's anything worse than half the rap and metal that's out there.

I know we have to think of the children and all that, but it gets me mad when we're not allowed to hear things because it offends someone else. Besides, there are worse things out there than violent songs. Maybe hearing lines like "Eating pizza is really great / So is destroying everything you hate!" might prepare the kiddies for that.

Threatening society by acting like every other band ever.

6 comments:

Red said...

Dude! We're all bout stickin' it to the man today! We must have come down with Stickittodamannoisis!!! I'll stop now.

And your links are hilarious. Well, not the ones for Iraq, Darfur or Tibet, but you get what I'm saying...

Falwless said...

Can't stop laughing re: the link behind "there" in "...there are worse things out there..."

God that show sucks so badly.

Liz said...

I was trying to find the YouTube of Maude Flanders freaking out about "the children" but I couldn't. Her wiki entry had to do.

Glad you hate the War at Home as much as me Falwless.

BeckEye said...

Yeah, I've been trying to get into this Vampire Weekend that everyone has been raving about, but they haven't...(wait for it)...

...sunk their teeth into me yet. Mwah ha ha.

paperback reader said...

If we protect our children from knifefights, what's the point of being a child?

Liz said...

Yeah Beckeye, I'm underwhelmed by Vampire Weekend. Like, I like them, they're decent, but they're nowhere near as good as the hype might lead you to believe