Thursday, March 13, 2008

Top 5: All Time Favorite Movies

Now, for the final post in this week long series (something I will never attempt again because it’s way too much commitment), here are my top 5 favorite movies of all time:

Pulp Fiction - Probably the greatest film made in my lifetime. Quentin Tarantino reinvented cinema with this one. Too bad he's had a hard time living up to the genius.

JFK - I have seen this movie probably 50 times (and that's saying something considering it's over 3 hours long). Sure, Oliver Stone is a woman hating nutter, but he can certainly make a damn engaging film (or used to anyway).

Say Anything - All time greatest romantic comedy. Ever. You know it's true.

Magnolia - PT Anderson is an amazing filmmaker. Who else takes 500 characters and melds them together so well? Magnolia has so much to say and brought up so many discussion points. I still get chills when it starts raining frogs.

Sense and Sensibility - The best Jane Austen adaptation ever, Sense and Sensibility introduced the world to Kate Winslet (and aren't we all the better for it?). I think all women are either an Elinor or a Marrianne (I'm an Elinor myself) and the end makes me cry every time.

Your turn...and I promise not to make you think so much next week.

8 comments:

Liz said...

Tarantino hasn't reached the genius of Pulp Fiction since, but the Kill Bill movies are amazing. Underrated, in my opinion.

doorknob_dan said...

I liked Reservoir Dogs much more than Pulp Fiction. I wish he didn't have a budget any more so he's go back to his old style movies.

Garney said...

This is even more impossible than picking 5 albums... but here are five favorites that you didn't already claim in your list...

1. The Princess Bride
2. Monty Python and the Holy Grail
3. The Empire Strikes Back
4. Glory
5. Defending Your Life

Anonymous said...

I love me some Hugh Grant.

Red said...

Liz: I loved Kill Bill I. Def his best work since Pulp Fiction.

Dan: I have nothing to say to you because we just disagree, but I didn't want you to feel left out, pumpkin.

Gargamel: Princess Bride is #6.

Winter: Amen sister. I mean, who doesn't?

Garney said...

The kids used to call me Gargamel in kindergarten and then run away from me... they were so smurfing cruel. All these suppressed emotions of rejection and abandonment are smurfacing now and I just can't smurf it any more. Smurf you mothersmurfer.

BeckEye said...

"Grease" is my favorite. I haven't bothered to rank all the others.

I can tell you the worst movie I've ever seen was "Mulholland Drive." Or as I call it, "Weirdness for Weirdness' Sake."

Garney said...

I really liked Mulholland Drive, but would agree with your "weirdness for weirdness sake" assessment if applied to David Lynch's Inland Empire.